It’s only January and we are already seeing hand-wringing in our neighborhood about property taxes and the companies that will protest on your behalf. Protesting your property taxes in Williamson and Travis Counties will be even more challenging this year.

Just a reminder, if you engaged one of the tax protesting companies last year you probably signed a form giving them authorization to protest for you every year. That means if your plans are to protest on your own this year or you plan to hire a different company you will want to cancel the service with the company you previously hired. Otherwise they will protest on your behalf and you will get billed if they are successful.

Something new this year is at least one of the protesting companies is charging a minimum service fee. Previously you only owed the company money if they saved you money. This year they will be charging a fee whether or not your appeal is successful.

This message is not intended to be negative towards any of the companies. In my opinion these protesting companies can be a big help to many homeowners who do not want to protest on your own. As always, make sure you understand what you are agreeing to prior to signing any contract.

What questions do you have about property taxes? I’m always happy to talk so whenever you are ready call me at 512-791-7473  or email

Have a Question?

Contact Us Now!

Provide a valid email address.
Newsletter consent
Posted by Eric Peterson on


Email Send a link to post via Email

Leave A Comment

Please note that your email address is kept private upon posting.